Monday, July 21, 2008

Odd Jobs, Part 3

One of the positives of being an illustrator is that there is the potential to reap financial benefits from previously created work. Such was the case ten years ago after I had stuck my somewhat disconcerting self portrait onto promotional postcards and sent them out into the world. (This painting now serves to remind my kids that "daddy is watching", although the lack of glasses and the presence of bangs makes it a little less recognizable to them. But when I can afford lasik- look out! I don't intend to get plugs, however, to solve the other problem).

Back to the original train of thought-- I soon realized after sending these postcards out that it was a poor choice, as I didn't intend to make portraiture my specialty. Not to worry, though, I didn't get any jobs from the mailing. Well, not any NEW jobs. Besides the inconsequential "you're on file" return postcards, I did get one magazine exec to write and ask permission to use the image I sent in their magazine. The price was $350, and for not having to do any additional work to make it happen I thought that was a pretty sweet deal.

Big...mistake.

Your probably asking, "what was the magazine?" I'm not about to tell you. I did check it out AFTER sending back a contract and became more wide-eyed than I am in the painting. The magazine was a sleezefest and I was glad to not find my mug within its pages. Maybe it happened in the subsequent issue.

I hope not.

4 comments:

Ravenswick said...

That is an excellent painting--regardless of how much it looks like you! Guess it is a lesson learned to check out the magazine before signing the contract. But at least you got paid for your learning experience.

GreenSpaceGoods said...

Hahaha... Yeah, I got lucky with some old work too. My current employer happened to be at my portfolio show and took one of my promotional items (a foam fortune cookie with my resume printed on the inside). I didn't meet him again until years later and he STILL had that cookie. Apparently they kept it out in the office to play with during meetings, but had never thought of calling me! Needless to say, after he learned that I was the "fortune cookie girl", I got the job. :)

Unknown said...

This is Skydowntown internet shopping mall. We sell handmade products. We are interested in your handmade items. We will appreciate if you email us at info@skydowntown.com including your email address that we can contact you.

Anonymous said...

I love this picture, it's really amazing!

Haha, I that would really suck to be in a magazine like that...especially when you weren't aware!! Now it's obvious why they liked the wide-eye picture (: